- If you intend to serve right away, pre-heat the oven to 4000F/2040C.
- Butter and flour 4 ramekins (I didn’t because I wanted to serve them in the ramekins itself) and set aside.
- In a heat-proof bowl, add butter and chocolate chips/chunks and heat in the microwave till melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk them to combine. Add the sugar and flour and whisk to combine till smooth. Add the cooled chocolate-butter mixture and fold it in. Pour into ramekins and add a caramel on top of each.
- Bake for 20 minutes till the cake has risen. There’s no sure fire way of testing the cakes’ doneness but go with your molten-chocolate-cake-radar on this one – a little underdone is never bad.
That’s a long long name but this cake carries the title with a lot of pride. After some quality time with the new candy thermometer, these caramels make for a pretty keepsake. They’re excellent to have around in case of emergencies as I’ve discovered and they’re pretty good as gifts but I discovered another use for them – in molten chocolate cake!
Of course, I thought that it was an ingenious idea that nobody has ever thought of before (not true) and that some extra baking time in the oven will help them caramelize further (also not true) and did a little happy dance. However, the concept has been around for a while (in the form of turtle brownies etc) but only, there they steep the caramel with some heavy cream which I didn’t do. I simply added one a top of the ramekins before putting them into the oven. I won’t lie – 2 of them sank to the bottom but it made for a pleasant surprise. Originally, I wanted to add them to brownies but after a long day, I didn’t feel up to all the work and so I went with an old favorite.
The molten cake is super easy to make – perfect to throw together in a crisis or after a long day. The addition of caramels makes it a tad sweeter but when was that ever a bad thing?
Molten Chocolate Cake with Salted Vanilla Caramels
1/2 cup (113g) butter
113 g chocolate chips/chunks
3 tbs all purpose flour
3/4 th cup (150g) caster sugar